23 August, 2006

Accidental Poetry: "Accidentally yours . . . ?"




Hopefully, one of the most reliable indicators of poetic impulse or instinct in a writer is the capacity to demonstrate not only a facility with words, but also a fascination with words--a "head full of logos," as I once composed in a verse celebrating the creative impulse of language (that Greek word "logos" is so much richer than our boring English "word!") .

Writers with this "head full of logos" show a propensity to erupt in spontaneous wordplay, even as they trudge through drafts of otherwise functional and/or transactional writing tasks-- a memo, an email message, a note to co-workers, even a shopping list. This spontaeous wordplay often produces what I term accidental poetry: usually brief poetic expressions resulting from the writer's recursive experimentation with revision and word possibilities.

For me, the process works this way: As I labor at a writing task, I occasional get caught up in fanciful experiments with word sounds, phrasal rhythms, word combinations that produce alliteration or assonance, some clever way of turning a phrase, or even a combination of these strategies. This distraction begins as a sub-conscious and unintentional loss of focus as some interesting possibility leads me off task, but as I wake to find myself wandering off in that direction, instead of redirecting myself to the task at hand, I succumb to the impulse and "play!" Here's an example of an "accidental" verse that spilled out of my keyboard yesterday as I posted a blog comment:

And what's our cheer
this year
down here
along the Coast?
Death to hurricanes!


Of course, it's not great poetry. But nor is it serious poetry-- It's just "accidental poetry," a casual invention that's sometimes cute and almost always fun, something to tuck away in a journal or a corner of the portfolio for future reference and further elaboration--or maybe never. But one way or the other, here I am with this "head full of logos!"

Any other "accidental" poets out there? I'd like to compare notes.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool stuff!
DP

DavidPulling said...

That's pretty cool, angelbunny. You must have the poetic instinct!
DP

Dogtrax said...

David
I am one of those who has words and phrases tipping and turning in my mind most days, and sometimes, it is all I can do to get them down and figure out what I am trying to say.
Thanks for the post.
Your friend in Massachusetts (and beyond! -- but not too far beyond!!!)
Kevin

http://dogtrax.edublogs.org

Anonymous said...

I broke the digitizer(the touch sensors) on my iPhone and ordered a part to replace it with. But since it won't read my touch, I can't shut it down. I know how to restart it, but I need it completely off to replace the parts and it's been running on battery for almost two weeks and is not even halfway dead yet. HELP!



________________
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello all


The new kid on the block is http://www.BuySellDirect.net is a Free and improved ebay to sell your products and services and make a second income on the Internet.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is the free ebay you need to sell your products FREE.

Anonymous said...

This аrticle focuseѕ οn thе сustomеr.
Ӏf yοu κnοw how
businеsѕ уou can turn thіѕ
knоωledgе into your own hаndѕ.

Τhen, уou need to be iԁentifiеd and maгkеt саn be eѕtabliѕhed
bеtweеn partiеѕ" Bateman & Snell, 2009, p. As with everything first impressions count and you don't understand a single thing they business said? I reached out to T-Mobile to confirm pricing and availability and received the following statement. If you have a program and go through the same learning curve you did.

Feel free to visit my page ... attorney internet marketing